STEPHEN ARTHUR JEWERS 1897 – 1969
Founder of the Barking and District Historical Society
Educated at Wolverhampton Grammar School.
Served in the Royal Navy 1914-
Qualified as solicitor 1923.
Worked for Inland Revenue, as Assistant Solicitor to Southend Corporation and as Deputy Town Clerk of Middlesbrough Corporation.
Appointed Clerk to Barking Urban District Council in 1925 and became first Town Clerk in 1931.
Lived at Priest’s Lane, Brentwood for many years before moving to South Weald and then Billericay.
Left Barking Corporation in 1940 to become a partner in the firm Hatten, Apslin, Jewers and Glenny. He retired from the firm in 1965 and moved to Walberswick in Suffolk.
President of Barking Rotary Club, Barking Town Club and the West Essex Law Society.
Expert on Barking and its abbey. He was also interested in masonic charities and the NSPCC.
Died December 1969. The funeral took place at All Souls Church, Hutton in January 1970.
He left a widow, one son and three daughters.