The 12th century Augustinian priory was built on a bend of the River Coquet, some 4 miles east of Rothbury, Northumberland, England. Little survives of the structures erected by the monks apart from the Priory Church, which is a grade I listed building in the care of English Heritage.
Henry VIII dissolved the Priory in 1536. It passed to the Fenwick family who built a manor house in the late 16th century on the ruins of the Priory buildings adjacent to the Priory Church. The grade II* listed manor house utilises part of the vaulted undercroft to the monks' dining hall. Services continued to be held at Brinkburn, but, the church was reported to be in a state of decay before 1600. The roof had collapsed by 1700 and regular services ceased. In 1858 the Cadogan family, owners of Brinkburn started restoration. The roof was completed in the space of a year, and the stained glass windows had been inserted by 1864. The church, however, was not furnished until 1868. Brinkburn Priory today, is a sympathetic 19th-
Nottinghamshire Line Drawing
Southwell Minster and the Bishop’s Manor
Southwell Minster is a beautiful minster and Cathedral, in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England. It is six miles away from Newark-
Wikipedia tells us that the University Church of St Mary the Virgin (St Mary's or SMV for short) is the largest of Oxford's parish churches and the centre from which the University of Oxford grew. It is situated on the north side of the High Street, and is surrounded by university and college buildings.
The Decorated spire with its triple-
The main body of the church was substantially rebuilt in the Perpendicular style in the later 15th and early 16th century.
Frank’s sketch is centred on the south porch. This eccentric baroque porch was built in 1637 and was designed by Nicholas Stone (1586/87 – 24 August 1647), master mason to Charles I. It was a gift from Dr Morgan Owen, chaplain to Archbishop Laud and is highly ornate, with spiral columns supporting a curly pediment framing a shell niche with a statue of the Virgin and Child, underneath a gothic fan vault. The style was too close to Roman baroque for the puritans of the day and the porch itself was used as evidence in Laud's execution trial, citing its 'scandalous statue' to which one witness saw 'one bow and another pray'. The gate piers are original and the wrought iron gates are early 18th century. The bullet holes in the statue were made by Oliver Cromwell's troops.
Cavendish – The church of St. Mary the Virgin & "The Five Bells" 1989
The church is in one of the prettiest settings in Suffolk with half-
The Five Bells Inn was described in 1766 as "ancient and well accustomed". It is thatched and has a single bar with fine views across the village green. A local brewery supplies several of the real ales on offer. The pub has been painted different colours. Until quite recently it was a pale yellow, today it is a traditional Suffolk pink. The colour pink was allegedly achieved by adding bulls’ blood to the paint.
The house and gardens date from the 16th century. Southover Grange was formerly known as Southover House or Southover Priory. It was built by William Newton in 1572. The Newton family occupied the Grange for almost 300 years until 1860. In 1871, William Laird Macgregor bought the house and made extensive alterations and additions to the building. He rebuilt the south east portion, installed the present main staircase, extended the east wing and added a new outer hall. He also rebuilt the stone chimney stacks and brick shafts.
This is a 15th century timber-
Bolton Abbey – The Abbey Church 1939
Bolton Abbey was technically a priory, despite its name. It was founded in 1154 by the Augustinian order, on the banks of the River Wharfe. The nave of the abbey church was in use as a parish church from about 1170 onwards, and survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The east end remains in ruins. A tower, begun in 1520, was left half-
Most of the remaining church is in the Gothic style of architecture, but more work was done in the Victorian era, including windows by August Pugin. It is still a working priory today, holding services on Sundays and religious holidays.
Burnsall – The River Wharf
The original Grade II listed ashlar stone bridge was built in 1609 thanks to a gift of money from local benefactor Sir William Craven who also paid for Burnsall Grammar School. In 1752 it was described as being "a good bridge and all paved". It was restored or possibly rebuilt in 1884 following flood damage.
It has three segmental arches with a smaller one to each side. Burnsall is a popular destination on summer weekends and the bridge carries a lot of motor traffic.