The house and gardens date from the 16th century. Southover Grange was formerly known as Southover House or Southover Priory. It was built by William Newton in 1572. The Newton family occupied the Grange for almost 300 years until 1860. In 1871, William Laird Macgregor bought the house and made extensive alterations and additions to the building. He rebuilt the south east portion, installed the present main staircase, extended the east wing and added a new outer hall. He also rebuilt the stone chimney stacks and brick shafts.
This is a 15th century timber-