Barking and District Historical Society

Go to content

Main menu


Pictures > Churches > St. Mary's Becontree

Compiled from research by
John Blake and Richard Chapman,
Barking and District Historical Society
September 2015

1927 January

Rev. G. Jones, Vicar of  Dagenham instructed West and Coe to prepare plans and estimates for a mission hall to be built at Grafton Road to cope with the fast growing spiritual needs of the new residents of the Becontree Estate.

1927 July 1st

The Bishop of Chelmsford  (Dr. Guy Warman) dedicated the new St.Mary’s Mission Church. It was built on a large piece of ground where St. Thomas’s Church held open air services in the mid-1920s. By October over 700 children were on the Sunday school roll.

1927  October 22nd

Rev. Ivor C. Jones appointed  Curate-in-Charge. The Rev. G. Jones had found it increasingly difficult to manage the parish church and St. Mary’s.

1928  May

Twelve girl guides enrolled  in the new St. Mary’s troop.

1928  December 25th

First recorded wedding  took place between Mary Tuffey and Benjamin Wing (both of 32 Homestead Road). Rev. Ivor C. Jones officiated.

1929 February

It was announced that the  Rev. Ivor C. Jones was leaving for the parish of Rhyal and Essendine.

1929 August

Rev. William Henry Jones  of St. Matthew’s Church, Blackburn appointed Curate-in- Charge.

1932  February 5th

Rev. W.H. Jones left to  become vicar of Chadwell Heath. He was succeeded by the Rev. Hartley Brook.


Ram’s Chapel, Homerton demolished and  proceeds of the sale and endowments were transferred to St. Mary’s.

1934  April

The Architect’s  Journal featured the new church, which was designed by the firm of Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Lander.

1934  September 15th

Foundation stone of the  permanent church laid by Sir Charles Marston, well-known authority on Biblical lands in the presence of the Bishop of Chelmsford and the Rev. Brook. Sir Charles used a trowel presented by the architect Cachemaille-Day.

Back to content | Back to main menu